About the web portal
This web portal is a companion site to the introductory Norwegian textbooks Sett i gang 1 and Sett i gang 2. Serving as a digital workbook, the web portal includes audio files for the texts in the books, online flashcards for the vocabulary introduced in the chapters, interactive exercises related to grammar and other topics from the books and online video clips. In addition, there is a free Norwegian-English glossary, plus links to other online glossaries. These features of the portal replace the former print workbooks and the print glossary from the first edition of Sett i gang.
Using modern technology in an accessible way, the portal makes the print textbooks come alive for learners with culturally rich digital materials while providing immediate feedback on learning and extra resources for further exploration. The portal is free for everyone, but learners are required to register and create an account.
The portal began as a faculty-student collaboration through the Collaborative Undergraduate Research and Inquiry (CURI) program at St. Olaf College and was later funded by two Digital Humanities on the Hill grants which provided significant support from student interns and staff in the IT department at St. Olaf.
Highlights of the Portal
- Over 500 audio and video clips
- Over 500 interactive online exercises
- Over 150 digital flashcard sets with audio
- An online Norwegian-English glossary with the essential words, meanings, and grammatical forms
- Practice assessments after each section (3 chapters)
- Links to additional online Norwegian language learning resources
- Password-protected resources for instructors
- How-to video tutorials